Saturday, August 21, 2010

Realizations.

Walking around Granada today with my ILP orientation group, we saw a small dog running full speed ahead down one of the cobblestone roads. Of course, being a group of all girls, we stopped, "aww"ed, and continued moving along. In that moment, however, I have come to realize why dogs seem so out of place here to me, (even though they are pretty common): there isn't any grass. Really, no grass anywhere. There are plenty of fountains and trees and shrubs and old buildings to make this place as beautiful as it is, but the only grass I can think of is on the walk up to the Alhambra.

The dogs don't seem to mind it, though. They usually just pass out on the side of the road, or on stairs, or are up walking with their owners.

Speaking of walking with owners, I don't think there's any kind of leash law here. I see very few dogs on leashes, and those that are are also usually wearing muzzles. Since there is seemingly no leash law, it's probably the finicky dogs that aren't friendly to others that are leashed, hence the muzzles. I think most of the dogs may have a better temperament because of it, though. They can do their own thing, the owner can do their own thing, but at the end of they day, they will meet up again. Humans become more like friends than owners.

Also, now that it isn't overcast at all, I COMPLETELY understand the purpose of "siesta." In the middle of the day, it is HOT. Right now, it's about 90 degrees and humid. It's so hard to walk around and be active outside, let alone run a business, when there is so much heat sticking to you. At least there are plenty of nice, cool drinking fountains along the way. The water in Granada is really good. This is also why meals are spaced out to be so late. Everyone is trying to avoid the heat. Frankly, I don't blame them.

I'm also beginning to realize that I understand spoken Spanish a lot better than I thought I would/could. Maybe the people in the program are babying us for now, but I definitely feel myself increasing in confidence. I look forward to meeting/making Spanish friends (and hopefully roommates!!). I think that's going to be the best way to improve my Spanish.

I have to meet up with my orientation group again at 6:30... I'm looking forward to having no plans tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin & I were JUST talking about how you'll be able to speak Spanish soooooooooo well by the time you come back! That's so cool - I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete