Friday, August 27, 2010

Lots to do...

So this week has been a lot of introductions, adjustments, new friends, new life, and new city... I've finally gotten the hang of it and mellowed out a bit when we have our orientation and I realize just how much I still need to do...

1) Find classes/prepare my rough draft class schedule
. We need to pick 6 classes to try, then we can drop up to 2, meaning I will have to take at least 4 classes. I think I want to take 5 though... Since I have to miss Winter quarter as it is and my major transfers EAP credits by the class rather than by the unit.
2) Find a place to live. So far, staying at the Residencia has been a lot of fun and a great way to meet people/get fed (haha), but we are only allowed to stay here until September 17th. Aimee and I are going to look at a place later today. Hopefully, they will let us rent out the rooms rather than the whole apartment and we get some Spanish/other foreign students to room with us. Part of the reason I wanted to come here was to improve my Spanish and I think that will be much easier if I'm not living with all Americans, and Aimee feels the same way. We've become really good friends the past few days, and I'm glad we're in the same boat as far as living arrangements.
3) Apply for my Tarjeta de Residencia. This is like a "Green Card" in the US, meaning I'm not a citizen, but I am a legal resident. My visa is only good for 30 days so I need the Tarjeta. Basically, anyone staying over 180 days needs to do this so they have your file on-hand at the police station.
4) Find out if I have a mailbox. I was told we couldn't receive mail here, but I have also been told we can but without direction to the mail boxes. I need to talk to someone in the admin for the program whether or not we can...

I'm glad I already registered with the US Embassy. That way, if there's a disaster or I get lost or something, they have all my information readily available. I'm also on their email listserv so I can find out information regarding security/nature/political uprisings/etc. So far, Spain feels very, very safe, but... you never know.

I suppose I'll start looking for classes now... Maybe I'll get a little time to read or something too. Relaxing is a very important part of Spanish culture, and I'm here to experience culture, right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment