Sunday, February 27, 2011

Finishing Finals and Adventures through Spain!

It has been a while since I've updated this, but I now have a Sunday morning/afternoon to myself and figured this would be a good time to lay back and update the world on my happenings.

I took my last final a couple of weeks ago. It didn't go too badly, but I have yet to find out my grade. So I suppose we will see.

Anyway, two days after my last final, Lauren, Jim and I were off for Santander, Bilbao, and San Sebastian, three of the more popular cities in the North of Spain. All three were nothing like I expected. There seemed to be so much money in these cities. And everyone was surprisingly nice, helpful, and outgoing with tourists. They would approach us speaking English asking "What are you looking for? How many days are you here? Oh, then you absolutely MUST go see THIS too!!!" and we found our way to some amazing views because of it.

Santander is a port town right on a bay to the Atlantic Ocean. It was sunny and beautiful. There was a lighthouse on a rock that was picturesque against the crashing waves. The view was from a lush, green cliff dropping off into the ocean. It felt like something you would expect to see in Ireland, not in Spain, and I loved it. Across the bay were more lush, green mountains.

The city of Santander was much larger than I expected. And everything felt just so... new.

Bilbao was probably my favorite city in the North. The Gugenheim museum is beautiful and something of an architectural marvel. The river was beautiful and you could see little boats, yachts, sailboats, etc. floating by. The bridges were also breathtaking and modern. We took a funicular to the top of the mountain and saw the city from above, and I fell in love with it.

Even the trams felt rich. The tracks ran through parks and fields of grass. For three travelers, our hostel said that the cheapest way to get around was by cab. Although we only took about 2 while we were there, they weren't nearly as expensive as they have been in other cities.

Then, it started to rain.

It rained the whole time we were in San Sebastian, although San Sebastian was still another beautiful beach-side city. They had lots of delicious pinxtos and pastry shops (Jim's favorite thing), and we walked around as much as we could, but made sure to take as many coffee breaks as we could. By the end of our day there, we opted to waiting for a cab for a ride home because there was no way we would be able to walk back in that rain and wind. We had to fight to keep our umbrellas up and open and right-side out.

Needless to say, Jim and I got sick.

Lauren left for Granada the next day, but Jim and I continued our way to Barcelona. It was a 7.5 hour bus ride with only one 15 minute break, but since we were both sick, we didn't mind. Jim made a game out of trying to figure out what kind of music I like. I found out I'm much pickier than I originally thought I was. I mean, I won't say I DISLIKE THIS to a lot of things, but most music is just Yea, this is alright. But overall, it wasn't too torturous of a bus ride, and we were in Barcelona!

Barcelona is off the Southeast coast of Spain, on the Mediterranean Sea. The most distinctive feature of the city is probably Gaudi's architecture. He's an abstract fellow, but his work really brought a unique character to the city.

We ate delicious fish and walked a TON. Parc Güell was absolutely beautiful.

Then, we spent our last night in the airport and flew to Málaga for an afternoon with Sean and Aimee before heading home to Granada.

We saw so much and did so much traveling that it's hard to give these places what they deserve in this blog. It was amazing and beautiful, and with that, I have (nearly) finished my travels throughout Spain.

This morning, I got a text from my dad saying that he made it to Germany. He will be here in 5 days or so, after his conference. How exciting! Then we will go to Sevilla, come back to Granada, then fly home.

My remaining days in Spain, in Europe, are now down to single digits. This morning marked 9 days remaining!

It's surreal to think about going home.

I feel like there is so much left to do before then.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what to say. I am happy you and Jim are feeling better. I am happy you have seen all the sights and experienced so much!! I am happy, most of all, that you will be home soon. I hope you are happy to be coming home, and I hope you will be happy once you're here. We have so much to do here too. Have a wonderful 9 days. I am happy you get to experience some of it with your dad. You are a very special girl with very special opportunities. Can't wait to see you.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete