Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My little gentleman

So I finally decided to do some laundry this morning, but there is a puddle of bleach in the dryer (for who knows whatever reason... probably a stupid boy put it there thinking you're supposed to?). There aren't any clotheslines and the closet came with two hangers. Needless to say, I have clothes ALL over my room. Since my bed is inaccessible due to my spread-out, drying underwear, I decided this would be a good opportunity to post an entry about my little gentleman.

As I said last time, I had to go to the police station Tuesday morning. I had been putting it off in an attempt to go at a time where I actually wouldn't miss any class, but it came to a point where I didn't really have much of an option. I was going to miss class. Unfortunately, all of my friends had already done it, so I was left to the adventure myself.

I had a map and directions, so it wasn't too big of a deal. I was a little worried about missing a street sign, though, since they are so few and far between around here. I got to a fork in the road, so I moved to the middle, V-shaped piece of sidewalk to read the street sign across the way.

And that's where I first saw him, a little dog, probably a Dachshund mix of some sort, sniffing at one thing or another on the sidewalk. I smiled at him, a cute little scrappy thing, but kept to my agenda. I pulled out my directions squinting against the dark at the sign across the street. It was the street I needed to take, so I continued moving in that direction.

The sound of paws clicking against the stone walkway was unmistakable. I glanced over my shoulder and saw him walking in my direction about 10 yards back. I smiled again, figuring his home must just be in this direction. I continued on.

I came to an intersection without a street sign (no surprise there). I stopped, pulled out my map, and tried to figure how far I had gone.

The paw-clicking stopped.

Once I figured I still needed to go straight, I glanced over my shoulder again. He stood, about 5 yards back now, just facing forward, panting with a typical doggy smile. I may have chuckled. Either way, I kept going.

So did he.

I heard him get closer and closer and eventually he passed me. I figured at that point, he was done following me. I didn't mind, but it did make me kind of sad. It was nice having a buddy.

He got to an intersection and promptly stopped and looked over his shoulder at me. I could almost see the question in his eyes, "Is this our turn?" I caught up and started to make the turn, but mostly to look for a street sign. He went ahead. But, of course, it was the wrong street, so I turned back around.

Mostly out of curiosity, I gave him a kiss sound while I crossed the street. He looked up, saw my direction, and was promptly following me again.

I got to my turn and he was right next to me. I saw some benches, so I sat down to orientate myself, make sure I knew what street I was looking for. My new friend laid down just a few feet in front of me. That's when I got a quick picture:


Isn't he cute?

I could read the street sign and it was indeed the last street I needed, so I turned and walked towards the police station. I could see about 10 people sitting down, already in line, so I took my place next to them.

My little gentleman walked ahead, looked back at me, walked back, looked at the line, looked back at me, and just stood there for a second. Then he turned back around continued on his merry way.

I will never forget that little dog, even though I know I will probably never see him again. Hopefully he made it home safely.

2 comments:

  1. Sheesh! How can we get your new little friend to the States to train Malkum?

    Wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a good writer. You have a way of keeping your readers interested. It was a wonderful story. I am glad you got the little guy's picture. I am also glad you had a companion for your trip. I worry about you wandering around out there by yourself!! Julia and I were talking about your upcoming trips. Portugal is one of her favorite soccer teams!! Have a great trip - trips!! Be safe. Can't wait to read about it.
    God Bless You!!
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete