Sunday, September 5, 2010

La Catedral de Isabel la Católica

So, as I stated a few posts ago, we went to La Catedral de Isabel la Católica a few days ago. It was one of the most amazing, beautiful, breathtaking things I have ever experienced, and my first time going into a 16th Century cathedral (considering there are about... none... in the USA). It is very well-kept and preserved and majestic in its own way.

Firstly, I should go into a little bit about Spanish history. Spain was a Muslim country for hundreds of years, after the Moors from North Africa took control of Spain from the Visigoths (who were Catholic). Then, in the 15th century, during what is known as the "Reconquista," Catholics began retaking land back in Spain. For a long time, however, Granada remained a Muslim city, should the Sultan pay a heavy tax to the Catholic rulers. Eventually, in 1492 to be precise, they invaded anyway and took back Granada.

In other parts of Spain, the Spanish Inquisition had already begun. So, naturally, it was brought to Granada through the Reconquista. Many mosques remained standing, just converted into churches/cathedrals by throwing a cross on top of it (usually over the three-ball symbol of Islam, meant to symbolize the Earth, the Universe, and the Seven Heavens of Islam), sometimes even disconnecting their prayer tower from the building of worship and converting it into a bell-tower, because the Queen Isabel held a great appreciation for Islamic architecture. However, the main mosque in the center of town was completely destroyed. La Catedral de Isabel la Católica was then erected in its place, as a symbol of the triumph of Catholicism over Islam.


This is the altar. It is easily the most impressive thing inside that building. Could you imagine going to a place like THIS to worship? I can imagine it would be so hard to be a Spaniard and not be a Catholic, since all they hear growing up is how awesome it is and see buildings like this to prove it. Anyway, I think it's absolutely beautiful.

This is the dome over the altar. Again, it's just beautiful. It's remarkable how intricate the designs are in the marble, gold, and paint. I look at this wondering if artists, carpenters, or architects were the ones responsible, and think it would have been an awesome job to have worked on this back in the day and know it's still standing in nearly perfect condition.

It was too big and too dark inside to get a picture that does this thing justice, but it was a massive gold-plated statue glorifying the Reconquista. Inside the church. It's an important part of Spanish history to the Catholics.


At the time that the cathedral was constructed, most people that came in to worship were not literate. Therefore, there were statues and paintings all over the place to educate people on the happenings of the bible. Most of the scenes in this particular cathedral were of the life of the Virgin Mary. I don't remember what these were specifically, but I'm pretty sure they were related to that.

This is 16th century organ sheet music. I thought that was awesome.

That would be the organ. I thought it was even more awesome. Notice the pipes take up two towers. That thing was MASSive (get it?).

That's what keeps this place standing! Also, I loved the detailing in the ceilings. Remember, this is all 16th century marble, so it's all hand carved. I was thoroughly impressed.

That little speck of a person is me. That's just how big it was in there. It was so beautiful.

If you were here listening to the sermon, this is what you would see. From the back, anyway. People were congregating towards the front for choir practice.

We also happened to be inside during choir practice. I managed to take 20 seconds of video before my memory card filled up and I had to start frantically deleting old pictures. You can see the conductor right in the middle. The choir was unable to be seen from where we sat, but it was HEAVENLY to listen to (I'm so punny today!).

This place was truly amazing and full of Spanish pride. I only wish the pictures did it justice.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your posts! Almost feels like I am right there with you... (if only!). You are a really good writer! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, my Punny Girl!!! What a beautiful thing to behold. You are very fortunate to have this experience be shaping your life. Just remember, you don't have to be in a magnificent building like that for God to hear your prayers. Keep Him close to you as you're far from me!!! I miss you very much. Love, Mom
    ps - got Dustin's post card yesterday. You are a good sister!!!

    ReplyDelete