Sunday, November 14, 2010

Life... followed by Sevilla!!

Hello world! I know I haven't been online in a while, but here I am again, to remind you all that I'm alive and loving life!

Last weekend, my first weekend home in quite a while, was actually a pretty hard one for me. With the start of November, I really started to realize that I was going to be missing the holidays... mom's cooking, seeing family, bugging my sister... All of those things I usually do at Thanksgiving, I won't get to this year... and I actually felt a little devistated. So, I spent most of the weekend cooped up in my room, writing, listening to music, wishing above all else that my internet would start working (which of course it didn't... I'm in an internet cafe right now to write this actually), and then going to internet cafes and being annoyed that no one was online... I just wanted to not feel alone.

So, then, I spent most of my week out and about. Lots of time with friends, eating at the comedor (it's like a cafeteria, substidized for student use. 3€ will get you two plates, a dessert (usually a fruit), a bread, water, and a cup of wine or beer if you so choose), going to movies, having people over, shopping... Anytime my phone rang, I would hang out with whoever was calling. Which was great for me emotionally, I got out a lot, I saw a lot of people, I had a lot of fun... But it ended up being not so good for my academics. I will spend this week playing catch-up. Nothing I haven't done before.

I also neglected to go pay for my residency card, which means I will have to do it tomorrow morning at 8:30 (ugh) so I can ensure it's done and I can make it to the police station at 9:45 for my apointment. Yes, I'm still not done with this process. It's a little ridiculous. I will get my card in December or January, then leave in March. Part of me is tempted to see if I don't do it if I'll get deported... but it's not worth it, and if I was deported, I would never forgive myself. But it would be kind of ironic to be in illegal American in a Spanish-speaking country (Just me? Okay then...).

And then, the week came to a close and I was headed off to Sevilla, capital of Andalucía (the province which Granada is in). Let me tell you, it is a LABARYNTH. But it was probably one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. The cathedral there was GIGANTIC and one of the few gothic cathedrals in Spain, which made it feel really unique. Additionally, the bell tower was open to the public, so I could climb up and be among the bells and get a marvelous panoramic view of the city. It was spectacular.



There were plenty of gardens as well. It was nice to escape from the city. Lots of horse-drawn carriages went through the parks and around the city. I loved the faint scent of horse and the clopping of hooves on cobblestones... I wish it wasn't so expensive to ride in one, or Kirstin and I both would have gone and complained about how we miss our boyfriends, haha.


Above all else, the Plaza de España was the most remarkable thing about Sevilla. It had its own little canal with rowboats in it, big beautiful buildings, two big bridges... It was absolutely beautiful. I'm really glad my camera lasted for two quick pictures. Then the battery died.

Which means I didn't get any rainy pictures, or pictures of the Alcázar. The Alcázar was very remniscent of the Alhambra, because it was so big and full of Arabic influence, since it had at one point been an Arabic palace. The gardens were beautiful. There were peacocks and fish and ducks, which was always fun for me. Although my love for the animals may have been a little annoying for Kirstin, haha. I would wander off following a duck sometimes rather than follow the path... but it was fun.

And it RAINED. It rained a lot. The rain was fun to watch on the train ride back though.

And now, here I am, at an internet cafe, writing to you all... pictureless, once again, since I can't use my own internet. (UPDATED on 9-12-2010 with pictures!)

But overall, life here is wonderful, and I can't wait for the adventures life has waiting for me around the corner!

I miss you all and I can't wait to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Natalie. Believe me, we are making preparations for Thanksgiving and realizing you are not going to be with us, and that is rough. Thanksgiving is going to be as nontraditional for us as could ever be. We are going to Kern and deep-frying turkeys. Should be an experience. As for being an illegal alien in a Spanish-speaking country, I think Papa would get a kick out of it!!! Don't go there, though. What if they put you in jail before they deported you!!! Remember, you're not in America!! Haha Well, I really wish your internet was working. I would love to be seeing some pix!!! Hopefully soon. I will look forward to it. Have a great week!
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete